Movie - R.I.P.D


Genre:Action
Running Time: 96 minutes
Director:Robert Schwentke
Cast:Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, Stephanie Szostak, Robert Knepper, James Hong, Marisa Miller, Mike O’Malley, Devin Ratray
Synopsis:
Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds headline the 3D supernatural action-adventure R.I.P.D. as two cops dispatched by the otherworldly Rest In Peace Department to protect and serve the living from an increasingly destructive array of souls who refuse to move peacefully to the other side.

credit from www.gsc.com.my

****************************************
****************************************

So I finally watched R.I.P.D., and my first thought like 10 minutes in was: “Wait, isn’t this just Men in Black?”

And you know what? It totally is. Just swap aliens for ugly ghost creatures, swap Will Smith for Ryan Reynolds, and swap Tommy Lee Jones for Jeff Bridges doing his best grumpy cowboy impression. Same formula, different wrapping paper.

But here’s the thing—I actually had a good time with it.

The Setup (Real Quick)

Ryan Reynolds plays Nick, a cop who dies on the job and finds out he’s not quite done working. Instead of heaven, he gets recruited into the Rest in Peace Department—basically ghost cops who hunt down corrupted souls hiding among the living. His partner? Roy, an old-school lawman played by Jeff Bridges, who looks like he just rolled out of a saloon and is very annoyed by modern stuff.

Their disguises on Earth? Nick looks like an old Chinese dude, and Roy looks like a hot blonde woman. Yeah, it’s as ridiculous as it sounds, and yes, that’s where half the jokes come from.

My Honest Take: Unoriginal? Sure. Funny? Yup

Look, I’m not gonna sit here and pretend this movie is some genius piece of storytelling. The villain? Forgettable. The plot? You’ve seen it a hundred times. The romance with Nick’s wife? Kinda just... there.

But creativity isn’t everything. Sometimes you just want big guns, bigger explosions, and two dudes bickering like an old married couple while shooting supernatural monsters in the face. And R.I.P.D. delivers that in spades.

The comedy totally worked for me. Jeff Bridges steals every single scene—his deadpan delivery and old-man grumpiness had me laughing out loud. And the running gag where everyone sees them as their avatars? Never got old. Watching Bridges’ tough-guy character appear as a gorgeous model in a tiny dress to everyone else? Gold.

Ryan Reynolds does his usual thing—charming, sarcastic, slightly panicked—and it fits fine. He’s not breaking new ground, but he doesn’t need to.

Action? Loud and Proud

If you’re into massive shootouts, buildings crumbling, and guns that look like they belong in a video game, you’re in for a treat. It’s not sleek or clever—it’s just boom boom boom with a side of one-liners. Perfect for turning your brain off and munching on snacks.

Final Thoughts

So no, R.I.P.D. isn’t original. It’s not deep. It’s not gonna win any awards.

But honestly? I don’t care. It made me laugh, it kept me entertained, and sometimes that’s all I need from a movie. If you go in expecting Men in Black with ghosts instead of aliens, you’ll probably enjoy it too. Just don’t overthink it.

Comments